John - La Vista, Nebraska

This I Believe Essay

The Music of Life

I believe life is like music and music is life. Songs connect to CD’s via a theme or genre in the same way my everyday experiences connect my life. I compare song lyrics, mood, tone, and meaning to my life all the time. It helps me concentrate, focus, and review what‘s going on. I’m always listening to music throughout the course of a day; I listen to music when I get up in the morning, in my car, at home, at school, in my free time, and before I go to sleep. I love music.

For me, music has to be passionate and emotional. The emotion can come from the lyrics, the vocals, the instrumental, or the underlying meaning of the song. This might be part of the reason I listen to many different types of powerful music (Indie, Emo, Screamo, Punk, Alternative, and Metalcore). The music I listen to depends on my mood. When I’m angry, I listen to some Metal, such as Atreyu or In Flames. When I’m sleepy or feeling blissful, I listen to some melodic or Progressive music like Opeth, Ozric Tentacles, or Pink Floyd. If I’m in a peaceful mood, I listen to soft Indie music like Straylight Run, Daphne Loves Derby, or Death Cab for Cutie. When I need to reflect on life, I listen to the lyrics of The Ataris because it includes life lessons and experiences I can relate to. When I’m in my normal mood, I listen to fast beat, hearth-throbbing, emotional music with powerful vocals in such Emo bands as Rufio, At the Drive-In, or anywhere in between.

You may or may not agree with my music taste or belief, but there is music out there for everybody. You just have to find what really excites you. A lot of different music excites me. There are countless genres, types, subtypes, spin-offs, classics, legends, up-and-coming, and favorites. I found out the other day there is such a genre as Progressive Metal and Rapcore (heavy instrumental rap?) to name a few. I like Emo because it’s modern and varied. Bands don’t have to be all over the radio to be good. Some of my favorite bands are local or started out small.

Music serves many purposes in all of our daily lives. I listen to music all the time to relate it to my life. Some people listen to music for the heck of it. Others listen because they’re bored. Some people listen to music for spiritual or religious purposes. Some people listen to music to concentrate or as background music. Some people listen to music at parties or to party. Some people only listen to certain types of music. Some people don’t listen to music at all (I don’t understand these people). Whatever the reason for listening to music, I say just get listening.

I believe music is about discovering yourself. I believe in music, its power, and its enduring nature. Music serves many purposes to me and will continue to serve forever.