Ali - Houston, Texas
Themes: war

The Iraq War has proven to be very controversial, and unfortunately most major news channels skew their information on this issue. I believe that Americans are not always presented the entire truth from the media; I should definitely learn to be more proactive in my beliefs and to support our President’s decisions. I am not going on strike against the news, but I want to be more aware that what I am hearing might not be 100 percent accurate. I feel that many of those that oppose the war could possible grasp the importance of our soldier’s work in Iraq if they just new all the facts and were not persuaded by our one-sided media; however, my most important wish is that Americans, especially those in my generation, stand up for what they believe and try to make a difference in this world, whether they agree with America’s current situation or not.

I sometimes feel that young adults, including myself, are easily swayed by the opinions of the people around us and what we see on television. I really started to think about this when I was listening to the lyrics of a new song, “Waiting on the World to Change” by John Mayer. Just as Mayer puts it, we all want things to change and know some things are not right, but we really are not trying to do anything; we are merely “waiting on the world to change” on its own. We are all like controlled robots, we hear things on the news, believe it, and without even thinking twice about its accuracy, we go on with our lives. Mayer sings, “When you trust your television, What you get is what you got, [Because] when they own the information, They can bend it all they want” (Mayer). If we do not think twice about what we hear and believe it to be true, then the powerful news corporations can make us believe whatever they want us to.

I think the only people that can tell us what is really going on in Iraq, are those that are there. His name is Army Specialist Cody Calhoun, and he is only 22 years old. When he is not fighting, he goes from door to door looking for weapons in the homes there. According to the Iraqis he meets, most of them are very grateful for the freedom America has won for them, which is not shown in the media. Cody says that the news stories that criticize their efforts really discourages the soldiers. This is unfortunate because they were the ones that actually took a stand, and instead of depending on other people to make a difference, they have tried to make a difference. I want to try to change things, even though I will be going about it in a small way because just as John Mayer puts it, “One day our generation, is [going to] rule the population” and we need to make a difference starting now (Mayer).

Works Cited

Mayer, John. Continuum. “Waiting on the World to Change”.