Alexandra - Staten Island, New York

“I Believe”

I don’t believe in a lot these days. Life is full of disappointment and uncertainty. The only thing I know to be constant and true is love. But what is true love? How is it defined? I believe the most accurate definition of love can only be found in the holy bible and can only come from God. 1st Corinthians 13: 4-8 defines love simply poetically. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always’ perseveres. Love never fails.” This is the only thing I hold true in my heart.

I firmly believe that love comes only from the knowledge and understanding of the Almighty God. There are so many feelings that are manufactured and passed on as a substitute love. Even the word love has lost its luster due to being thrown around so easily with no care or caution. Love is a profound thing to experience and I believe to experience it in its true form it is essential to understand Gods love for us.

I have been hurt many times in life. I’ve been betrayed and spat at in the face by those I loved the most. My family has been through great poverty and huge ordeals. I have seen hypocrisy first hand; outside as well as in the church. The only thing that has kept me strong, that has kept me sustained is the belief that love is real and that its truth cannot be compromised.

The fact that love is real gives me hope for my future; that one day someone will see me the way that God sees me. I believe in love being shared from one person to another. I think it should be right in the Lord’s eyes.

Love gives this world, full of hate and evil, hope for a better day than yesterday. It truly is all that the bible says it is. It comes from God, he’s perfect all knowing and can do all things. Love has to be amazing too.

I’m in love. God completely captivates my heart. My family holds an amazing part in it as well. I can honestly say without that knowledge and that feeling of love, I would not be here today. On top of that God has allowed me to share this incredible gift with an amazing person. A lot of young people state time and time again that they are in “love”. To discern the difference between the common feeling and the truth, I look to his word.

I don’t know a lot and as I get older I’m sure I’ll change my mind time and time again. But what I believe with all that is in me is, love and that can’t be changed but become stronger. What gives me peace to sleep at night is the end of the verse, “love never fails”.