Holly - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe in the power of words. People can experience almost any emotions through words that are said and heard. Words can have different meanings based on the syllable that is stressed. There is a meaning to every word. Words describe your personality, who you are. The world sees you through your use of words.

Beyond that, words have the capability to make or break a dream, encourage the sorrowful, shatter a heart, express love, upset a friend, and convey gratitude. Words are a way of communicating and part of a functional lifestyle. Communication with words is necessary for healthy relationships between a spouse, friend, co-worker, or family member. Without words, people have to guess what we are thinking which often leads to false assumptions. Words have the power to change an attitude, opinion, or idea. Simple words connected together create sentences we remember throughout our lifetime. Speakers use words to motivate; Books use words to narrate; Sports fans use words to cheer; Parents use words to discipline; Teachers use words to educate; Old friends use words to reminisce. Words can be used in any situation all over the world.

Because words are influential, it’s important to hear them from those you love. For me, it’s my family and friends. I still remember many words spoken from my parents. Even at a young age, we still recall the words that help us grow to be the person we are presently. I remember my father giving me advice before, after, and during my basketball games. He would sit calmly in the stands and tell me to, “drive to the basket” or “shoot the ball!” After the game he would use words to let me know what areas to improve in. He would encourage me and lend his constructive criticism. I pretended most times not to listen, but I always did. I knew my father was knowledgeable and always wanted me to succeed at the highest level possible. His words were powerful to me; I’ll never forget them. Basketball was over, and his words continued to impact my life. Heart to heart conversations would arise and my father’s words were permanently stuck in my memory. He would use words to inform me on dating, how to treat others, and the answers to life’s biggest lessons. My mother used words to express the beauty she saw in my eyes and smile. Her words told me how to finish my homework, how to cook a strawberry pie, and how to play the piano. She used words to comfort me when I was sick or feeling down. My parents used the words, “I love you” even before I was able to understand the meaning behind it. Their words gave me a sense of comfort, joy, and security. The words my parents have said to me over the past twenty years have helped form the person I am today. I believe words are powerful because God gave us all a desire to speak and listen to each other.