Olatokunbo - Cheverly, Maryland
Themes: integrity

I believe that beauty is that which is within and then shows on the outward.

In middle school, I asked my bestfriend why don’t the boys like me and are always teasing me “you not beautiful like me” she told me. Ever since that day, I struggled with what she meant by “beautiful”. Every day that I looked in the mirror all I saw was a face not beauty or ugliness but a face. As I got older and when I would hear anybody use the word beautiful, I would try to associate it with what was said. If someone said “that dress is beautiful”, I would look at it and try to find what the beauty in it was. On my search for what beauty meant I met a guy and he was really nice but like society would label him “ugly”. This guy was so sweet and I tried to look and see what so ugly about him. The more I searched in his face the more beautiful he was to me. I saw no ugliness but rather a beautiful soul. So I reexamined myself, and asked what is beauty? My answer was that beauty is love that comes from within. Beauty is not the way you look or the clothes you wear. They may make you look beautiful but they can never make you be beautiful. Beauty is on the inside, and when you’ve made your inside beautiful then indeed you are beautiful. I then realized that the reason I was called ugly was because I felt ugly on the inside.