Diva - La Vista, Nebraska
Themes: children

Isn’t it the cutest thing when a you see a newborn baby? Doesn’t it just tickle you deep down inside? When I see a baby, I just want to pinch his cheeks and take him home with me. But then, I think of all the things the baby will have to go through in life. Learning to walk, going to school, applying to college, getting a job. One of the most important things the baby will learn is how to speak. That leads me to think of young adults today and what their first words were. Most likely, they were “mama” or “dada.” Yet, sometimes these simple words turn into hurtful stings as babies grow older. The truth is, no matter how much I want to believe words do not have an impact on people, they do. Often words can hurt more than anything else.

I hear these hurtful words every day. In my Anatomy class, the junior girl who sits in the first desk in the first row never hears the end of humiliation. As dedicated to school as she is, she attempts to start up conversations that, for some reason, no one takes seriously. As soon as a word leaves her mouth, it’s, “No one cares!” or “Just be quiet for once.” As everyone chuckles, I keep my glance on her to see her routine reaction: she wipes the smile from her face, droops her eyes, and lowers her head toward her desk, pretending not to have heard. It is obvious the words cut deep into her heart, even though they may be humorous to everyone else. I know they are not humorous to her.

Yet the weird thing to ponder is how powerful words really are. What makes words powerful? What makes words hurt people? Is it what we say, how we say it, or how often we say it? We use words to express ourselves, but they do not define us. Different people grow up hearing different things, but the words with which they are said will always remain the same. What a person says has a lasting impact. When I see the girl in class being put-down every day, it stirs the moral feelings within me. It causes me to further believe how simple phrases can pierce right through a person’s heart, right down into the area that hurts the most. However, people can overcome hurtful words, as long as they know not to let those words control their life.

Words will always be a direct means of communication. They will never cease to exist. Whether at school, in college, or on the job, there will inevitably be the occasional “No one cares!” or “Just be quiet for once.” I realized how words are a matter of choice – a choice to hurt or a choice to help. I cannot imagine anyone deliberately going up to a person just to tease them, hurt them, or blatantly mock them. Not even the cutest little newborn baby!