Elizabeth - Long Beach, Mississippi
Themes: love

The Gift of What Love Really Means

Love hit me at a younger age than most. I was only sixteen when I met Zachary, but I knew I had found the man that I wanted to marry. Zach and I dated for two years and things could not have been going better. Zachary treated me with respect, gave me words of affirmation, made me laugh, and honestly made me feel like a princess. One time, I was really sick and could not even get out of bed. Zach brought me roses and soup to try to make me feel better. Our relationship was more than I could have ever dreamed about.

Like all good things, they have to come to an end. Zachary started having headaches everyday. He went to the doctor’s office and collapsed on the floor before he could even see the doctor. The doctors rushed him to the hospital and they informed us that Zach had a brain hemorrhage. He stayed on life support for three weeks, when his parents made the hardest decision of their lives to disconnect him. Zach had his entire life ahead of him at the age of nineteen when he died.

I will always remember the things I learned about a relationship from Zach. He taught me that relationships are about trust, love, and attraction. Zach and I hardly fought, but when we did, we always talked our problems out and compromised. Zach and I had so many memories together that I will always cherish.

After Zach died, I felt like I lost my other half. I not only suffered the lost my boyfriend but also our future together. We always talked about what would happen if we were married. Zach and I would talk about what kind of life we would have, what we would name our children, and how we would spend the rest of our lives together.

Currently, I look back on the time Zach and I shared and smile because I was lucky enough to find a man that loved me more than anything, but I was even luckier to find this at a young age. Love is hard enough to find in a lifetime, but I found it at age sixteen. Losing Zach was the hardest thing I have ever been through, but learning from our experiences, and sharing our story helps through the grieving process.