Justin - San Antonio, Texas

After September 11, 2001 there was a flag on every house and a hand on every heart, but now go look down your street and where did they all go? Do you have one still? I do not believe that patriotism could be a “phase”. I believe that if you love this country than you love this country, there should be no shades of grey in there. After September 11th the military was given so much support and respect, but where did this all go? I sometimes wonder if people even know that we still have a military. True you see the occasional yellow ribbon on a minivan here and there, but is that enough? My best friend is engaged to someone in the air force who is deployed to Korea, and I can promise you that there will never be a day until he returns that you do not see a small yellow ribbon pinned to her shirt.

The only time we see anything on the news about the war in Iraq is when something goes wrong or someone is bashing the President. I feel like we are now only getting to see the mistakes and accidents, when we as a country should be focusing on the accomplishments. You never hear any of the stories of soldiers saving a family, or the good moral stories that used to come about in older wars. It is all gloom and doom from the media today, and this needs to change. We need to take off the negative stigma that the media is trying to put on the militaries actions and we need to portray them in a positive light.

So many people do not support the military because of their political parties and affiliations, but the last time I checked whether the President is Republican or Democrat, we still are Americans and we need to support the people who are keeping that right for us. We need to look past the reservations we may have about our involvement in Iraq and whether or not you believe we are there for the right reasons. Because there is no difference if you think we should be there or not, we are over there all the same. We have men and women over there doing their jobs and protecting our country, the greatest country in the world, and we need to stand behind them.

I want to close with one final thought. It is true that you have every right to speak out for what believe. But as a warning, be careful because if you are constantly speaking out against the very thing that gives you that right, one day it may not there. What then will you do?