Dinelles - LAUREL, Maryland

My daughter taught me the meaning of life. She taught me that life is not about having the finest things in life but rather the finest individuals. I was sixteen years old when I gave birth to my daughter at Prince Georges Community Hospital. Luckily for me, I was in labor for less than two hours. I hesitated when I was first to hold her by nurse because I was still shocked that I had just given birth. As time went by that day, I became proverbial to the idea that I was a mother. For some odd reason, I suddenly became extremely excited at the thought of being someone’s mother. When I picked up my daughter for the first time from her crib at the hospital, I was instantly filled with the greatest joy on earth and tears began to roll down my cheeks. I was smiling and crying at the same; for I had never seen a creature as precious and adorable as my daughter. I looked into her eyes all day as she slept in my arms and thought of all the things that her and I will be doing together as she gets older. I counted her toes and fingers over and over again and was so fascinated at how tiny they were. Her skin was so soft and smooth with the cutest rounded nose. I sang to her all day long and did not want to put her down in her crib because I wanted her to know that I was there for her and that I was never ever going to leave her. When night time came, I was sad because the nurse had to take her into the ward with the rest of the babies. That night, I was too excited to sleep. I walked over to the ward a couple of times to take a glimpse of my baby because I was missing her already. The next day as I was feeding her, she kept eye contact with the whole entire time and I knew without a doubt in my mind that she approved of me as her mother. From that moment on, I knew that I have someone to love me unconditionally and she did too. Together my daughter and I have become one. I am so blessed to have her in my life. I believe that my daughter has taught me so many things about life and I do not know I would have done without her warm and embracing spirit. However, I do know one thing; if I had to do it all over again, I will still give birth to my precious angel at sixteen years old because she is one blessing that no amounts of do-over’s or diamonds are worth trading for. I love her unconditionally and always will because Deborah is the reason why I get up every morning.