Jacqueline - Stockton, New Jersey
Themes: setbacks

I consider myself to be lucky in life. I was dealt my own unique set of cards which were not always in my favor. An only child until the age of twelve, I was labeled as a “spoiled brat.” Looking back, I would now agree with this statement. I lived in a beautiful home with an in ground pool, too many pets, and all the toys I could imagine. I had a very happy and comfortable lifestyle. However, when I was fifteen my life took a sudden turn leaving me with none of the things I had become familiar with. My mother left abruptly with my three year old sister and moved to south Florida. I spent the next three years feeling abandoned. I moved three different times with my father, and became involved in a legal custody battle over my younger sister.

I was lost, angry, and upset. I went through a stage of sadness. Sadness boiled into anger, and anger calmed and cooled into acceptance. At this time in my life my belief was formed. My father taught me to accept what life brings; dwelling on the past will only make it harder to succeed in the future. He would say, “Accept difficulties and adapt to change, and nothing will ever seem that bad.” He was right.

I believe it is not the obstacles you face but the way you overcome these obstacles that makes you who you are. I believe that you need to accept each obstacle, big or small, as it comes and move forward in order to live a more positive lifestyle.

A lifetime is filled with ups and downs, but nothing that you and I cannot eventually live through. Not one person has it better than the next, although it may seem that way; some just take a different approach in situations. For me, things turned out for the best. My father, sister, and I are happily together, free of any prior anger and resentment.

I believe that it does not matter what happens or how it happens, but how you deal with what happens that can have a positive or negative effect on your life. So the next time you are faced with a problem, accept it for what it is worth and move on with your life because inevitably, life moves on.