Keith - Marion Center, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe in joy. There are so many opportunities and adventures for us to enjoy. I’m not talking about what the world says we should enjoy, I’m talking about the things that give us feelings. I love the feeling of accomplishing something great. I love the feeling of coming home after being away from school. Most of all, I love the feeling of having relationships with family and friends.

Right now I’m finishing up my bachelor degree at Penn State. This should provide many opportunities for employment, but I’m not looking to get rich. I’m looking forward to the joy that is coming in my future. I believe that God created us to live lives full of joy. In the beginning, God created everything and He was pleased, so I think it should come natural to His creation to be filled with joy.

I recently went home for Thanksgiving and experienced joy. I began to feel it as soon as I was close to home. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about; it is the feeling inside your chest that makes you smile and feel great. It was wonderful to see my parents and relatives at Thanksgiving. I believe we desire this feeling of joy because we were created for relationships.

We need our families and friends to support us as we live and laugh through good and tough times in life. It gives me joy to see my brother’s family and how much he and his wife love their children. I love the feeling of holding my niece and nephew and seeing how much they’ve grown. I love having ice cream and cake at a birthday get together to celebrate life. I believe we desire to be with family and friends because God gives us joy when we’re with them. We are so easily confused when we think things give us joy rather than events that give us joy. Achieving something by yourself is worthless because you have no one to enjoy the experience with. People receive meaning and fulfillment through other people who recognize and encourage, not through other things.

In conclusion, I believe we are all looking for joy in our lives. I find my joy in accomplishing deeds, returning home, and having relationships with family and friends. I believe we were created to be happy and filled with joy just as our maker was. The joy in my life gives me something to look forward to and be thankful for. I am so grateful we have joy in our lives.