Lydia - Papillion, Nebraska
Themes: sports

Practice makes Permanent

Being a part of any team is something kids grow up doing. Some kids may participate in something longer than others but no matter what, some things stick with us forever. Practicing hard, working everyday, and doing anything to get better is something I try to achieve everyday. Practice makes Permanent by setting your goals high and working to achieve them.

I have been a part of a soccer team since I was five years old, and I continue to play to this day. Over the past 12 years I have worked hard to accomplish my goals and along the way I have had many coaches help and support me. One specific coach will always stick out in my mind. His name is Colin Pittaway. He was our high school varsity soccer coach from 2005-2006. “Pitt” as I used to call him, always had one saying that he reminded me everyday, “Practice makes Permanent.” This quote is something that will stick with me forever. This saying pretty much speaks for itself. By practicing something that I wanted to accomplish over and over again, it will stick with me forever and become permanent. Pitt was one coach that pushed me to be the best I can be. There was always those days where I had a bad practice, but no matter what, everything I practiced for, I wanted it to become permanent.

I truly believe “Practice makes Permanent.” If you work at something and practice it even if you already have it down, the extra practice will make it even more permanent. One example of why I believe this statement, is penalty kicks in soccer. When a game goes into overtime and the score is still tied, each team picks 5 players to shoot a ball one-on-one with the keeper.

I will never forget the game when our team played Papillion South. Papillion South High School is the biggest rivalry I have ever experienced, especially in sports. The soccer game went into double over time and then into penalty kicks. It was my turn to kick and I completely shanked it. The ball went over the goal. We ended up losing and missing my PK was probably one of the worst feelings I have ever felt. Ever since then, practicing PK’s everyday is something I do at every practice and I have trained myself not to miss. With all the practice, it has made my penalty kick shooting permanent. I haven’t missed one since and even though I have accomplished my goal, I still practice as much as I can no matter how much I have mastered it.

Practice makes Permanent. This saying can go along with just about anything. Practicing other sports, or just wanting to accomplish your goals. Practice makes Permanent no matter what the case. If you take this saying with you and work at something to want to achieve, anything is possible. I plan on continuing to play soccer and this saying makes me want to work hard and make everything I do permanent so it will stick with me throughout my life. You just have to believe that you can accomplish anything with just a little bit of practice and it will make your life easier.