Heidi - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: forgiveness

As a young restaurant manager, I never thought I would fall victim to an armed robbery. I had a rude awakening on April 22. I went to work just as I normally would. Only that day, as I was unlocking the door, a man with a gun approached me. He pressed the gun to my back and demanded that I open the door. Once inside the store, he made his demands and I followed without hesitation. I believe forgiveness is necessary; in order to have closure and to put the past behind you after someone else has hurt you.

This was a day that changed my life. For the following days, months, and years I lived in fear that this man would kill me just as he said he would, if I had not cooperated. I was and still am very grateful to be alive. This man could have ended my life that day. Instead, he got what he came for and left. Moving on with my life has been a long, rocky road, but through forgiveness, I was able to move on with my life.

Today, this man is in jail awaiting trial for this incident. The fact that he remains in jail allows me to rest easier at night. However, I still go through the emotions of that horrible day. I found it was easier to forgive this man, rather than ponder on that day any longer. As long as he is in jail, he cannot hurt anyone else the way he hurt me. Even though this man has not been issued his sentence for this horrible crime, I am able to put the past behind me after forgiving this man.

Armed robberies can happen to anyone at anytime. I hope that if anyone reading this ever has to endure something like this, they will remember that I believe forgiveness is necessary, in order to have closure and to put the past behind you after you have been hurt by someone else.