Rebecca - Radford, Virginia

Live life to the fullest

Ask yourself this question: Do I take everything for granted each and every day that I’m alive? I remember when I was younger I never thought about life this way. Everything was about my dolls, my teddy bears and my parents coming home from work. It really didn’t hit me until I was about eleven when my grandmother was really sick. I found out that she had breast cancer and that it was really hard to cure. A few months later she passed away.

Life became more serious to me when my sister passed away only four months after my grandmother. Everything happened so fast, she had just picked me up from school and then I had to call the ambulance when we got home. She died of a brain aneurism and she was pregnant with my nephew who is now six. I feel that you can’t take anybody for granted especially someone who is close to you. I didn’t realize that my sister was my best friend until she passed away. She had knowledge and wisdom, and yet she was only twenty six. She always did things for me and I didn’t even notice it. I remember her taking me places for fun and I thought it was because my mother just told her to. I didn’t know she did these things out of love. I realize how much she loved me when she was close to death; all she could think about was her baby boy and I. Now that she’s gone I use her as an inspiration to me. My sister had a rough beginning in life by having the disease Sickle Cell Anemia. When she came out of high school she wasn’t doing well. Her life was falling apart right in front of her eyes and within a few years she turned it all around. This affected me extremely because it made me believe that I am able to achieve anything. This is an example of a person not letting anything bring them down who was just live their life.

I believe that life is pretty much unpredictable, I have had set backs and there were times when I thought I couldn’t make it. Past experiences and situations have forced me to feel this way. I started to think and realize that I can do anything with my life. Life should be valued as much as possible. I remember my mother telling my grandfather in the beginning of the summer, “Stop living life as if you were dead! There is a reason why you are still here!” I told my mom that she was absolutely right because life is too enjoyable not to settle. I just try to do anything to make myself happy because I can lose that chance to do that. Because people don’t know when their time is going to be up and when they are going to say good bye.