Anna - Cleveland, Ohio

Life can be fun, challenging, suspenseful, and overwhelming. The same can be said for work. Work is found within school, family, friendships, relationships, jobs, careers, and anything else you take part in while living. Everything in life takes time, energy, and attention. I believe that work is not a part of life; it is life.

It took me a long time to realize that my belief was true. When I was in fourth grade, I had to witness my parent’s divorce and it tore my family and me apart. I thought it was easy to hold a marriage together and I never understood why my parents could not do it. They tried, but it did not work.

My father is the hardest worker I know. He has two jobs, sometimes three, to be able to pay for my younger brother and me. Because of that, he taught me that it was up to me to determine what I wanted from life. Our futures are not decided for us, they are made by us.

Now that I am a college student, I have realized just how easy life really is not. In order to make something of myself, I knew that I had to work as hard as I could in high school. I always took harder courses and got as involved as I could. Participating in the band taught me discipline, responsibility, and leadership skills that are needed for the remainder of my life. Since I did not play sports and was only involved in band, I took it upon myself to get my first job at the age of fifteen. No one told me I had to, it was something that I felt I had to do. I wanted to provide for myself and prove my independence. This was it, my breakout. Though I knew I was not going to work there for the rest of my life, it was part of my life and it would be for the next few years. I told myself this was my opportunity and I wanted to get the most out of it. Within three months, I received my first promotion and a year later, I became a manager. My ultimate goal had been reached and it was the most inspirational and important factor in my future. I finally realized that anything in life is possible as long as you work for it, and work hard.

Like my parents divorce, I knew that some things just will not work out. However, my father has been, and always will be, my inspiration. He taught me that not only is it important to love, but to be independent at the same time. You have to work for what you want and work for what you need. Nothing in life is easy. You cannot just wait for others to do things for you or to make you who you really are. Your life was given to you for a reason. Finding your reason will take work, not giving up.