Colleen - Lynchburg, Virginia

A wise man once said, “I’m not where I want to be, but thank God I’m not where I used to be.” I believe change is a key role in our lives. Without change we would be just ordinary people living a very stagnant life. Change is something that occurs throughout our life and helps us to become the person we are today. Change however, does take work. We can’t just wake up one morning and be a changed person. Change needs to be worked at daily. A few ways you can change is to read, listen, or interact with good people all the time. This could be reading your bible, listening to well meaning music, or even hanging out with friends that build you up into a better person. To be the person God has created us to be, we need to be willing to change even in hard times.

Throughout my life I have had many changes that have occurred. With those experiences I decided to change what was needed to let God work in my life. When I was growing up I lost my mother at the age of three to breast cancer. I had two older brothers and a younger brother. My dad decided to learn how to cook, clean and raise us four children on his own. Even though it was tough he chose to do what he needed to, to help us kids grow up into mature adults. About two years later my dad got remarried. That took change to readjust and let a new woman into my life. Their marriage however did not last for very long. At around the age of ten my parents got a divorce and we were on our own again without a mother. This was a very difficult time in my life because I had lost a second mother and wasn’t able to visit her. I had to change my thoughts and trust God for providing me with the family he had given me. When I decided to give it all to God he blessed me with a mother who was my best friend’s mom. They dated for five years and have now been married for about six years. Now they are happily married with six children. Through all those years I had a lot of changing and adjusting to go through. If I hadn’t of experienced those events in my life I don’t think I would be the same person I am today. I know God has put specific people and things in my life to understand better what life is all about. It made me be more thankful for what I have, and to not take anyone for granted. I learned to show love to my family daily because you never know when it could be the last time seeing them. I believe in change and that it can impact someone’s life tremendously. Change needs to be worked at but with God’s help anything is possible.