Taylor - Weatherford, Texas

“This I believe Essay for NPR”

I believe in roots. Without them we have no support or nothing to hold us down. Most of all we must be proud of these roots because it is what makes us who we are. A Target and a Starbucks are the new high-end additions to the town. Kids go to Walmart to hang out, and you have to get to the High School football stadium an hour before the game starts if you want a place to park. This is Weatherford, Texas and I am proud to call it my hometown, and my roots. I have lived here all my life and would not have it any other way.

I did not always hold this town in such high esteem; to me it was a boring old town. It took going off to college and experiencing another city for me to learn this valuable lesson. My cousin Clay went to the Naval Academy the summer before our freshman year for training. He absolutely hated it there and was very homesick. Before, he thought of Weatherford the same way I did, “sleepy old hick town,” but after he went to school he wanted nothing more than to come back home. He came home mid-semester, having lost thirty pounds and I have never seem someone change so much. From that point on he would only be seen wearing a cowboy hat, an old workout shirt and Wrangle jeans. His vehicle of choice, An ’87 jacked up bronco that he and his friends painted into a giant Texas flag.

While my entire family laughed at Clay’s extreme hillbilly actions. I realized that I could learn from my crazy cousin. He had taken a situation that he inevitably could not change and made it work in his favor. Now I could not see him as anything more than a loveable country boy who adores his hometown. I wanted to reflect this in my own life when I came to college. Though I am only thirty minutes away from home life is very different at school. I love TCU and could not see myself anywhere else but I came to the conclusion that you can’t try and be something your not. Rather than being embarrassed by where you are from you have to take it and cherish it because your hometown represents who you are and those family and friends are the only people who truly understand you and except you for who you are.

When a tree is completely pulled out of the ground, the roots come with it. This is a great example in everyday life. No matter where you go, or who you are around, your upbringing is still part of you and will always stay there so you might as well learn to respect all of yourself because it will never go away.