Shannon - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: children

I believe that children are a precious gift from God. They remind us of the simple joys in life. Their imaginations are endless and their attitudes are so unpredictable. You never know what to expect next from a child. I believe that children have all the potential in the world. Their perspective on life is different than ours because they have not been affected by the influences of our world and society.

I believe we can learn so much from children. They are the prime examples of what it’s like to take chances, fall, and get right back up. As we watch children grow up we see them take risks every day. Examine a child learning how to walk. As they reach out for that first step, they often fall to the floor, but that doesn’t stop them from continuing to try. As adults we need to be more like children. We need to walk out in steps of faith, and when we fall get right back up and continue on just like children do.

I believe becoming adults just simply means growing taller and forgetting the simple joys in life. We don’t really mature that much at all. In fact a lot of times a child is more mature than the adult in the sense that they do not get caught up in all the biases and prejudices of life. Often times adults wear disguises but beneath the costumes is the child we always are, whose needs are very simple and whose life is best decribed by a fairytale.

I believe a child is the best example of innocence. It is an innocence that many of us wish we could hold on to. Life is much more simplistic to them. They believe they can achieve anything. If only adults could be more like a child every now and then who knows what we could achieve. As children become older they start to loose that precious imagination because society drives it out of them. They are told that they cannot achieve the things they once thought they could as a child.

I believe children have an understanding like no one else. You tell them to look across the street before they cross and they do it. Many times as adults we get caught up in the little details that we need not pay attention to. An example is our faith in God. Many adults struggle with their faith in God and pay attention to the little things that do not matter rather than just believing with all their hearts. In Mark 10:15 it says, “Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” If we could just have the mind of a child the world would be a much better place. I believe we need to encourage kids to stay young and stop forcing them to grow up. For when we grow up we loose sight of the real joys in life!