Violaine - NEW ROCHELLE, New York

“I believe in listening in my body”

I am the person you can call Miss Coffee. Coffee is my friend in the morning when I have breakfast, when I have my morning break, sometimes with my lunch, and then one more, two more, three more later on and even more until I go to bed. People don’t believe me when I say I still can sleep even after my eighth cup drank 10 minutes before going to bed, but that’s my talent. Well, should I say it was my talent?

Yes, that was before… Before my body started to cry for help, before my stomach begged me to stop the massacre and put me to bed a whole weekend, and before my heart complained of its unusual speed. What have I done to myself? I was not paying attention to any of the signs that my body was sending to me and now I am sick like I have never been sick before.

I have always loved coffee, but a few months ago, I seriously increased my consumption of it because I had a lot of things going on in my life and coffee kept me up. It was like a drug, like smoking or drinking. That’s when the first signs showed up. I was feeling like I was having panic attacks and my stomach started to burn seriously. Medications were not helping and nausea and heartburns accompanied me all day long.

It was sad that I had to be in that condition to react, but finally I decided to become smarter about my health and listen to my body! But how could I give up on the one thing that helped me go through the day? Well, I had to change my life for real if I did not want my body to abandon me.

And that’s how green tea became my new friend. I chose green tea, as it has been recognized for its antioxidant properties, for its benefit on the digestive system and it contains teine, which would keep me up too! So, I traded coffee for tea in one day. Ok, not exactly a day. Honestly, it did take me a few days to get used to the idea, but when I started with tea, I did not go back to coffee. And it was much easier than what I thought it would be. I guess my body knew that coffee was not for me!

My stomach isn’t crying anymore, my heart isn’t stomping, and I even lowered my cholesterol. I believe my body is talking to me. I believe my body gives me signs when it’s happy, sad, or when I need to do something about it. Whether I need to take green tea today, change the type of bread I eat, or do more exercises, my mind is wide open to any demand of my body. There is nothing better than a healthy mind in a healthy body.