Nicole - D`Iberville, Mississippi

I believe the world would be a better place without religion. Many people turn to their religion for a community of support and a crutch given to them by God. I believe that belief in God, though nice, is not logical. People believe what they believe because they simply do. No proof or evidence is necessary to garner support of this belief, only a promise of immortality and forgiveness.

I have been searching all my life for a higher power, a means of comfort, and a reason to live. I was raised Catholic. During the first twelve years of my life I was a medieval servant of God who lived without question or doubt. I, like many others, needed a title, a sense of belonging. During much of my teen years, I followed the Wiccan religion. It wasn’t until recently that I began to grow up and see past religion, past false hope.

For years, religion divided me from family, friends, and the rest of the world. When I compared the major religions, I found them all to be the same. Once free from religious restraints, I found that my reason to live is to learn and progress. I have only recently educated myself with science and physics. I am in a constant state of change and growth; I would have things no other way.

In order for mankind to move forward, people must not be afraid of change. I try to be both critical and open to new ideas. Because science cannot prove or disprove God, and probably never will, I find it pointless to ponder his existence. I am not an athiest, agnostic, or a scientologist. I simply learn from my past, live for today, and look to tomorrow.

I believe that religion is the separation that has instigated many wars. Religion remains the cause of much controversy, ignorance, and hatred. The focus in my life is to learn, share, love, and grow. I do not focus on pleasing an omnipotent force, hoping he or she will better my situation. I constantly strive towards self-progression. I control my destiny. If more people felt the way I do, there would be more kindness, openness, loyalty, and peace. I believe the world would be much more pleasant without religion.