Melanie - State College, Pennsylvania

Within the past few months I have come to realize that I have spent too much time trying to make everyone in my life happy, but neglected to extend the same courtesy to myself. I have a new found outlook on this generosity; it is welcomed by all, but not always reciprocal.

It is my duty to make sure that I am happy and doing what is best for me in the future. I cannot live for other people, and make their lives what they want them to be. However, I can live for myself and make my life what I want it to be. For this reason, I believe in the pursuit of happiness.

I believe that if all you really want out of life is to have a farm, then that is the only choice you have in life. If you do otherwise, you would not be following your heart, and that is the most logical thing to follow. Too many people get wrapped up following money and fame, both of which can be taken away; Where as your heart will always be with you. If the economic state of the country turned into a depression and one had to sell all of their material possessions, their heart would remain where it has always and will always be. If the soap star on the popular television show became a “once was” and the public did not care about watching his/her character anymore, their career would dwindle. However, if this person stuck to what made them happy, deep down, they would be listening to their heart and they would still have that passion even after their television show’s popularity subsided.

I think that more people need to step back from all of their accumulated material items or titles and think about what they really need in life to make them happy. I want nothing more for myself than love, health, and good relationships with and for my friends and family. I think that those three things are important beyond any corporate job, luxury car or shopping spree. It is for those things I will live my life, and because of those things I will be happy.