Saquoia - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe that no one should use the N-word. Some black people think that it is acceptable to use this word within the company of other black people. However, they feel that it is unacceptable when people who are not of urban or hip hop society use the word. It is like black people have rules on a word. They think that when the word ends with a “er” it is bad and very offensive. Yet when the word ends with the letter “a”, it is ok. There was a rapper that said when the word ends with the letter “a” that it defines a black male that hangs out at the clubs and is just cool. Yet when the word ends with “er”, it defines the black people that were hanging from trees and being disrespected. I, on the other hand as a black female, find the word offensive no matter who says it or how it is said.

I have some black friends that think it is ok to use the N-word. One day I was on the bus going to school and this white boy said the N-word because he was singing a rap song. After he said this word, all the black people on the bus, except me, got offended and wanted to fight him. I sat there and observed what was going on. I realized that the black people that wanted to fight him use that word all the time. I think that the black were being hypocritical.

I wanted to know how a person of another race felt about the N-word. So one day, while I was in the computer lab, I asked a random white guy how he felt about this word. He gave me his honest opinion. He said that he does not like the word. He also said that he does not understand how black people use the word all the time, but when a white person says it they get offended. I agreed with him.

Back in slave times, some slaves would call other blacks the N-word to pose no threat to the white slave owners. Those slaves called other blacks the N-word to put those other blacks down. Yet when blacks do it today, they think it is ok. If only my fellow black Americans would understand the history behind this word, they would stop using it.

I do not see anything positive about this word. I was watching an interview of a rapper and how he felt about the N-word. This rapper said that we can turn something that was once negative into something positive. Yet, the N-word can not be positive. If we go back into black history, we would see how much drama this word caused. Also the rapper said that the new meaning of the N-word has to do with brotherhood. I believe that we can not use a word for brotherhood, when back in history that word made us fall.