Ketitia - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe that having values in one’s life is important and necessary. Why are values so important you may ask? Possessing values helps one realize one’s limits and helps one learn self control. Along with values comes several things. Having values helps a person realize what is most important in that person’s life. Values may differ from person to person depending on where one may come from or one’s past experiences. Values also help the person to determine who they really are and shows how much character one may have. Having values helps a person to establish a set of personal rules for themselves. This means not letting anyone else influence one’s train of thought or actions.

Being able to have values and uphold them to the fullest degree is a hard thing to do but in the end, that person will feel respect and strength. I personally can attest to this theory. When I was 11 years-old, I was outside playing with some friends in my neighborhood. Even though I knew these kids that I was playing with did things I did not do, I still enjoyed playing with them regardless. One kid that would head up these activities was a girl by the name of Chante. So, while we were playing she asked me and two of the other neighbor kids if we wanted to go throw rocks at the neighbors’ cars. The other two kids looked at me, then back at Chante before agreeing. Then after everyone else was in, they looked at me to see what I would say. At first, I was going to give in to the peer pressure and say yes, but having the values that I had, I would not allow this to happen. Once I thought about it, I said that I just couldn’t go through with it.

So, after I gave them my answer they just called me “scared” and “chicken”, and then went on to do their dirty works. I went home sad that I had been rejected by the only friends I had in the neighborhood. Once I reached my house, my mom asked me what was wrong and then that is when I broke down and told her what had happened. She assured me that I did the right thing and that I should not be sad. Later on that day, one of our neighbors knocked on our door to tell us something that happened earlier that day. She told me and my mother that she was upset because some of the kids in the neighborhood broke one of her windows out because they were throwing rocks at it. She went one to explain that she got all of the parents involved and that they were all going to help her pay for her broken window. My mother then looked down at me and asked me if I felt better now that happened. I just smiled and I felt better about going with my instincts and values.