Rebecca - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe that theater has the power to change us and how we view the world. I believe that theater can affect and touch the deepest parts of our souls. Theater forces you to look inside yourself and see the real you because of its undeniable way of forcing you to look inside someone else. I believe theater evokes passion and conviction that is felt through all who witness its story.

When I began stage managing my sophomore year of high school I did not realize how much of an impact theater would play on my life. I am now a theatre arts production major and have experienced an amazing reality, that theater truly changes lives. When I see a story unfold before my eyes, I am affected by it. I am forced to dispense some sort of emotion whether that be, laughter, sadness, anger, patriotism, or even joy. I have seen people come to a show and walk away with life-changing values and perceptions. I have seen cold hearted people soften at the words they have heard and the story they have seen. I love participating in theater because I know all of my hard work benefits something larger than me. I am creating for those many people who will experience the story and eagerly, often subconsciously, participate along with the actors. Therefore, I believe that theater makes me strive to be excellent for the greater benefit of the team behind me.

I ultimately represent and participate in theater to glorify my God, whom I know, and believe is creative. I believe that when I am creative and express myself that I am simply an extension and a tool used by my marvelous Creator to reveal His story.

Another aspect of theater that has changed me is the opportunity I have to come into contact with so many people. I have worked with hundreds of people on shows and seen the way that every different personality type and every different individual uses their own talents and distinctions to make the show come alive. Theater causes me to become a servant for those around me. I am striving to help my team and my team is striving to tell a story. I have been so blessed to get to know so many different people and to experience that not one is the same, but that everyone is still capable and special. I have become a changed person because of the things that I have seen, the places that I have gone, and the people that I have met, and for that, I am truly grateful. Konstantin Stanislavisky, a famous Russian actor, once said, “Unless the theatre can ennoble you, make you a better person, you should flee from it.”

I believe that theater allows an unhampered sense of life to come alive, as it screams from the pages of a script. Most of all I believe theater makes you find yourself, every time you experience it.