Tamara - Portland, Oregon
Themes: work

Tamara Mayo

I Believe Hard Work Pays Off

I believe hard work pays off. Growing up in a family of six can was very hard, especially when your mother is raising you alone and your father is in and out of your life. My father loved all of his children, including my mother, but he was addicted to drugs. I remember eating at the table at dinner, and my mother would always say, “No matter how bad things may look, if you keep doing good, good thing will happened to you.”

My mother is a very respectful, caring, loving, and hard working woman. She worked full time weekdays, and she had a part time job on the weekends, so that we didn’t have to live from paycheck to paycheck. I remember seeing my mother so tired at times, she couldn’t even hold up her eyes. Some times I use to get afraid of seeing my mother look like that because underneath her eyes, it would be so dark doe to lack of sleep. It looked like she took a black marker and circled her eyes that color. Her head would fall back and forth like somebody was playing pull the monkey with her head because she couldn’t keep up. I would just look at her, feeling sorry for her because no matter how many times I would say, “ you should take sometime off of work and rest,” she still would say no.

That is why even to this day, I believe that hard work pays off. My mother is now 52 years old and retired. I look at my mother as an inspiration because all of those hard tired days: not getting much sleep, not able to go out with her friends, always keeping a part time job, and saving all of the money that she could have. That allowed her to be who she has become today. She is a wealthy woman who is very willing to take care of other and never has to work a day in her life.

I believe hard work pays off. I am 19 years old and my best friend past away in a car accident. He was someone that I use to talk to every day and do everything with, and he was no longer in this world anymore. I felt so hurt, and I didn’t know what to do without him, so I moved to Portland Oregon with my Uncle Carl. I enrolled in school and got a part time job. Although it felt impossible to go on with my life without him, I kept going to school.

The first term I attended at PCC in 2005, I received a letter in the mail saying that I didn’t qualify to be in school because I didn’t make good grades. My mind was forced on my friend all of the time. I just couldn’t believe that he really was gone. I was real home sick because I was away from my family and friends that I had grown up with since I was a young girl. I also quit my job because I didn’t want to be around people; I wanted to stay to myself. But through it all, I made a promise to myself, that no matter how bad things looked if I keep doing good, good things would happen to me.

So, I stayed in school and wrote a letter to the board telling them my problems and asking them to give me another chance, by letting me prove to them that I could make grades because school was where I wanted to be. I found another job, and started surrounding myself around people. I was not locking myself into my bedroom, right after I was done with my classes.

This is why I believe that hard work pays off. Throughout all of the bad times, I stayed in it to the end, by not letting anything turn me around from accomplishing my goals. Now in 2008, I well be attending PSU, and with my part time job, I will be able to afford to move into my own apartment.