Kelly - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe in purpose. Not just setting goals and trying effortlessly to reach them, but in

having a pure undeniable purpose that leaves you unsatisfied until you have found it. I am still looking for my purpose, slowly gliding through life, hoping that it dawns on me one day. Being a sophomore in college, I know all about hectic schedules, lack of sleep, procrastination, overwhelming stress, and wanting to give up and go home. But I have a love of knowledge and a strong desire to learn as much as I possibly can, causing me to keep on keeping on no matter how crazy it gets. I guess I am too excited to see what my future holds and where I am going to be in 20 years. So what does it mean to be utterly enthralled with where you are in life and completely secure that you are doing what you are supposed to? For me, it means that I have not only succeeded, but have surpassed every doubt I ever had in my abilities. I have proven to everyone that I am capable of attaining a college education, not just getting by, but exceeding all expectations and setbacks. In high school, my teachers were constantly congratulating me on my hard work and high GPA, telling me that one day I would become something great and make a difference in the world. I would smile and thank them for their kind words, not really grasping their sincerity or believing it was actually possible. I was only able to see the small picture because I had not experienced enough to understand. When college applications started coming in the mail, I knew I had to get serious about my future and rather quickly. I was a senior about to graduate, and I hadn’t even decided if I wanted to stay near home or go out of state. If something that small was difficult to decide on, how was I expected to choose a major or career path? I certainly worried up until the day I arrived on campus about if I had chosen the right school and if leaving home was best for me. When I got settled in and started meeting people, the questions and fear disappeared, and I knew I was right where I needed to be. Since then, I have talked to counselors about a career that fits me, and I am on the right track now. When I hear the word “purpose”, I think of determination, responsibility, perseverance, failures, mistakes, success, victory, goals, and the list goes on. It is a very powerful word with so much value, and it has the capability to define someone’s life. When I find my purpose, I will pursue it with passion and drive to get the most out of it and seek fulfillment. After graduation, I hope I can one day see my teachers and show them that I have finally found my purpose and success.