Justin - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: sports

Justin Mork

15 years old

Iola-Scandinavia High School

Composition 1

This I Believe Essay

478 Words

Hunting is an important event to me. I have five different members in my family, and hunting affects every one. Not everyone in my family hunts, but it still affects them in a way. I hunt for many reasons for food, enjoyment, to get out, to relax, and to have fun with family. Hunting is what I believe.

When it comes to needing meat in the freezer, I am right on top of it. Every year I bow hunt for deer and gun hunt for deer. I also hunt turkeys in the fall and spring. I do some duck and goose hunting. Once in a while I do a little rabbit and squirrel hunting.

Back when I was in my second year of deer hunting, I was sitting around my house bored out of my mind. I was so bored; I bugged my mom all day. She told me to go outside and enjoy the outdoors, but I had nothing to do outside. My mom told me that we were low on meat in the freezer; she told me to go out and hunt. There was nothing else for me to do, so I decided to go hunting.

I sat up in my stand and was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep. All of a sudden, about twenty deer came out, and they were all does. I had three doe tags I needed to use, and sure enough I used up all three of them that day. I shot one: it ran a little ways then died. I shot the other one: it dropped in its tracks. I shot the last one: it died after about one hundred yards of running. It took me awhile to take care of all of them, but I did it.

I came back home with three does. My mom and dad were so proud of me. They weren’t only proud of me because I shot three deer in one day, I shot the deer for meat: that is why they were proud of me. I felt pretty good because I was the one who was supporting my family by getting them meat for the table. That is why hunting is so special and important to me. I was the talk of the family that day. I was proud of myself because I felt like the “Big Cheese.”

That goes to show you how important hunting really is to me. Although this event took place a long time ago, it seemed like it happened yesterday, and it definitely was a moment to remember. Hunting is a very important event that I do in my life. It affects everyone in my family, and that is why hunting is important to me. This I believe.