Carly - Maysville, Kentucky

This I believe in the power of secrets. Many people think secrets can be deceiving, misleading, and uncomforting, but the secret kept from me was far from that. January 28 2005 I was turning sixteen and I couldn’t wait! I was counting down the days hoping and praying I got a car. That Friday morning I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing! Checking the caller I.D I noticed it was my sister calling me! After a Happy Birthday song and a conversation reminding me that she was coming in from college and we were going to eat after school I tried to get out of her what I was getting for my birthday for the hundredth time. I finally told Sommer I loved her and hung up the phone and jumped in the shower still without knowing my birthday gifts. Singing to myself knowing how great of a day it was going to be I thought about my present that might be waiting for me before school!

After getting completely ready and trying to look my best, after all it was my birthday; I slowly glided down the stairs and saw my breakfast sitting on the table with no presents around it! It’s OK I thought as my dad turned the corner and gave me a big hug and a kiss, Maybe I’ll get it later. I finished my breakfast and was headed off to school.

After school my sister came to pick me up! We were supposed to be headed to Mi Camino for my birthday, but soon a phone call came and our plans changed. I was upset! It was my birthday and I thought I got to do what I wanted to do and that was eat. My father needed help on moving a rack in the clothing store that was being relocated, so I didn’t think a thing about it and decided to go with the plan! On the way down I quizzed Sommer if she knew about any of the gifts I was getting, hopefully, later on that night. My sister and I arrived at the store as told to do as my dad greeted us at the door. “Carly here is the key to the storage room outside, go unlock it and Sommer and I will carry the rack.” I took the key hurriedly and rushed to go out the back door so I could get to Mi Camino as fast as I could! As I pushed open the heavy steal door I found my secret that was kept from me for months. A 2003 silver Mustang was sitting in the back lot with a sign and balloons attached with my mother video taping and singing Happy Birthday! I couldn’t believe it! My dream car was sitting right in front of me and the keys were soon in my hand!

To me the power of a secret is very special and full of surprises. I’m extremely glad my family kept this important secret from me and hope that many people realize that secrets don’t need to be spoiled!