Lourdes - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: courage, fear

I remember when I believed that fear was a powerful force that could make you or break you. One thing I have noticed in my journey through life is that fear can control my life without me knowing it. You might ask, “Fear of what?” Well it could be fear of rejection, fear of not being good enough, fear of what people might say, fear of being alone, fear of not fulfilling your purpose in life or fear that you might miss all the opportunities life has to give. There are many other fears out there; these are just a few.

Fear has paralyzed me from doing things that were important to me. Fear has stopped me from speaking out, trying new things, and taking risks. Fear has two companions, doubt and insecurities. Doubt made me second guess myself and not trust in what I could accomplish. Insecurities filled my head with dumb ideas like, I wasn’t good enough. Although fear has stopped me before, I have made a decision; fear will no longer run my life.

The first step that I took to change my way of thinking was to replace fear with courage. I believe courage makes you a stronger person. For me, courage is taking fear at its best and overcoming it. Courage is when you feel like you don’t have what it takes, but you try anyways. My goal in life is to be strong and courage’s; to live life without holding back. Sure there are going to be times when I will feel like I want to run away from everything and crawl under a rock, but I will have the courage to overcome anything. The only way I could do this is with the help of God. In 1 John 4:18 it says, “Perfect love casts out fear”. I chose to take a hold of this scripture and make it my own. Day after day I remind myself what that verse says. His love takes away all the fear that is holding me back. I can freely talk about this because it’s something that I have had to overcome in my life.

I believe God says to me in Isaiah 41: 10 “Do not fear for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand”. God sustains me and leads me. He makes me strong because I know I can trust in Him. I know He has a plan for me; therefore, I have nothing to fear.

My encouragement to you is to live life without fear. Take a hold of courage and let it make you strong; if you do this, you will have no regrets. View fear as something positive that makes you persevere. Let it motivate you instead of having it pull you down. Try everything that comes your way without doubting that you can do it. Be strong and be filled with courage. If you do this life will become an adventure.