Troy - Media, Pennsylvania

Seeing is not always believing, believing to me comes from imagination. Anything is possible or real if you have an imagination.

As a child, I was always told Santa Clause was real, until that cold, dreadful, December day in 4th grade when my sister decided to tell me that Santa Clause wasn’t real and that mom and dad were the ones who put the presents under the tree at night, she said “Troy, you are an idiot you haven’t figured out that Santa’s not real? Are you joking me?” This to me was devastating, I had been in hand-to-hand combat with kids over Santa Clause, I had seen every Christmas movie made and to hear Santa Clause wasn’t real made me want to knock the person out that made me believe in this legend.

As years went on, I opened my imagination’s doors to many different things. I fell in love with the Harry Potter series and had realized that I did not care what others thought about what I believed in, so I decided that if I could believe in the magical stories of Harry Potter, I could believe in Santa Clause no matter what anyone said. Soon after my imagination was flowing, I was reading many different fiction books, letting my imagination go and seeing the events in the book flash through my mind.

In my middle school years I had heard many different thoughts about believing in things that are supposedly not real or false. There have been many friends and classmates telling me that my beliefs where wrong and that I grow up. To these remarks I had just stood my ground and said what I had thought. Classmates had laughed and told jokes of me enjoying Harry Potter and taking in the Magical goodness of the Christmas holiday.

Entering high school, people still thought of me as goofy or a joke. As Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out in the movie theaters, I had to convince a few of my friends to come watch it with me. The movie ended and my friends had started to agree with me on what I believed in. When Christmas time came around I had once again convinced them to watch a fictional movie with me, this time it was the movie the Polar Express. After we were done, they realized that this was the same story that had been their favorite story as kids. They had told me stories of all the times their parents had read them the story and how magical it was to them then and now to see the movie it was even more magical. As they realized this they realized that I had been right all along and now they agree with the same things as me.

I am passionate about my belief in believing is not always seeing, and that imagination is the key to believing and to life itself.