Matthew - Lynchburg, Virginia

This I believe; moreover, this I live by. There is no greater act of service then living for the country you call your own. To live or to die for the United States of America is the greatest act of service possible to take, and those who do it should be held in the highest honor. Whether it’s a war of attack or retaliation, for freedom or for oil, to serve for the United States military is the best thing any individual can do. Because when individuals enlist in the armed forces, they aren’t laying down their lives just for a friend, but rather for an entire nation.

This I believe, that the most honorable decision one can make is to serve his country. Though there are things in the United States of America that may be considered unfair and unnecessary, there is no other country I would rather live in. To serve this country by protecting its people and their freedom and rights is an incredible opportunity. I believe that those who make the sacrifices to protect John Kerry’s right to make a fool of himself are individuals worthy of applause.

I believe that those who oppose this war need to realize that if America was to pull out then nothing would have been accomplished. Ernest Hemmingway states, ”Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.” I believe this war should be won, can be won, and will be won. I believe the soldiers who are sacrificing their lives to end the war are true heroes. And I can’t wait to join them.

In my first semester at college, I have realized I have made a wrong turn in my life. Not necessarily the wrong turn; rather, I made the turn too early. Since I’ve been at school, I have thought about being a United States Marine several times a day, every day. I have come to realize that I’m not supposed to be here right now. I should be serving my country. Moreover I long to serve my country, and that is why in 2007 I will be enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. I have impacted the lives of certain people I have come in contact with here at school, but I want even more to make a difference for my country, the world, and myself. Ronald Reagan is quoted saying “Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.” To be a part of the United States armed forces is and will be a privilege. I believe that in order for me to be truly happy, I need to serve the country that has done so much for me, the country that I take pride to call my own. For I believe there is no better nation then The United States of America.