Holly - Corinth, Mississippi

Dogs Have Feelings Too

It had been a hectic morning from the moment I woke up late. I ran out the door with a fast “I love you, Bye Mom.” I was on my usual way to school with my radio blaring and my diet mountain dew right beside me. I was half way to school when I saw a large object lying in the middle of the road ahead. I couldn’t tell what the object was when I first saw it. As I approached the object, I saw that it was a yellow lab. Its legs and some of its upper body had been run over. I stopped my car and, hesitantly, thought about what I should do. I didn’t want to go to the nearby house because, if it were their dog, then I was afraid they would think I had done this. The dog could not get up, but he looked up at me and wagged his tail. This made me not want to look at the dog. I called my Dad and he told me to call 911 because this dog could cause a wreck. I called 911 and explained to them what happened, and they directed me to the local sheriff’s department. I explained the whole story to the lady who answered the phone at the sheriffs department. I told her the dog was injured and needed help immediately. She responded, “We don’t handle those things here.” I asked her for a number to call to get help for the dog, and she said she would see what she could do. I told her that it was inhumane to leave the dog there injured, and if someone hit the dog it could cause a wreck. Again, she responded the same way, “I’ll see what I can do.” I called my father back upset, “Why are some people so heartless that they don’t even care about an injured dog in pain.” He explained, “Some people don’t care about animals like others do.”

On my way home from school that evening, I drove past the place where I saw the dog that morning. The dog had been picked up. Apparently, I wasn’t the only person who cared about the dog that morning.

I believe you shouldn’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. I don’t know if the dog was rescued because of me or because someone else helped it. Maybe the lady at the Sheriff’s department felt guilty for being so uncaring, but I do know that I could not have gone on to school that morning without doing something. The dog couldn’t help it that it had been run over and that the perpetrator didn’t have the decency to stop. That morning I did what I could do, and didn’t keep driving focusing on what I couldn’t do.