Ramesh - Florence, Alabama
Themes: hope

Hope Brings Positive Changes in Lives

I believe that hope is the only thing which keeps me going on in my life. I always go to bed hoping to wake up the next morning and I always wake up every day keeping hope with me. I believe that hope brought me here in the United States for my study and the same hope will take me back to my country, Nepal.

I believe in the saying “white is white because there is black.” Therefore, I believe that there is hope because there is hopelessness. Sometimes, I believe that hope comes from hopelessness. The day when my father passed away was the entry-day of hopelessness in my life. My faint hope was overshadowed with hopelessness. I lost hope some where inside me. But I never gave up and never let the dim light inside me go off. I knew that I would be able to brighten that dim light one day, sooner or later. I did not lose my infinite hope. I tried my best to keep up with my hope. With great hope, I did not drop the school though it was hard for me to continue my studies due to some financial strain in my family.

After finishing Grade ten, I had no idea what to choose as a career. I had full responsibility to take care of my family economically. This put me in an ambiguity. I was hopeless with no idea what to do, where to start and how to start. It was the same situation with my friends, too. We got lost not knowing what to do.

After long discussion among our friends, our hopelessness gave birth to a genuine hope. We saw bright stars in that darkness of uncertainty. We thought of establishing a cooperative school from which we could support many children in our community and simultaneously, we could make our livelihood providing them education.

We turned that idea into reality. We had nothing except hope when we first started the school. We began with a chair and a table in a rented house. Now we have thousands of property in the name of school. Directly and indirectly more than 25 people are employed in the school and more than 35 students from economically disadvantaged families are getting scholarships. We have about 250 students continuing their education in the school with a hope to do better in their lives. It was hard for us to pass that long way but we did it because we never lost our hope. This makes me believe that hope is the thing which changes the lives of people in a realistic and positive way.

Therefore, with great hope, I strongly believe in the quote of Robert Frost:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.