Raphael - Marion, Arkansas
Themes: golden rule

“Words Are Too Hard to Swallow”

Remember swallowing a jolly rancher when you were a kid? Now think about how hard the candy was and how it made you feel when it was going down your throat. Now remember the few minutes of pain you endured and the ugly look that was on your faith. This in essence is the same experience as hearing hurtful words. Minus the few minutes of pain every other aspect occurs.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” This is a quote universally accepted by many people. This statement is false. Words like ugly, stupid, idiot, short, fat, and worthless can really kill a person spirit. One of the Ten Commandments state, “Thou shall not kill”, but what happens when you start to kill people with your words. Growing up I never understood why my mother told me to treat others the way I wanted to be treated. One day my friends and I were sitting in the cafeteria of my high school and this kid walked in. He wasn’t the richest, the smartest, or the best dressed. My friends began to say things, and we laughed at his appearance. You never know how much words hurt until you get the reaction from the other side. The whole time we called him poor and dumb, we never thought that he was so poor that he had to wear the same outfit everyday. In this case words hurt because they were true. Many times we never know how words affect someone until it hits home.

I always said that I didn’t care how people viewed me as a person or what they say, but as humans we all do. Everyone has feelings and you should never put someone down because of their shortcomings. Life and death is in the power of the tongue, and what you say can take a toll on a person’s confidence and how they feel about themselves. I was always taught that if I didn’t have something good to say to not say anything. Words are more than what we say. Words determine actions. Many people commit suicide or become addicted to drugs because have people perceive them.

It is my belief that words can hurt. There are many ways to express the way you feel about someone either negatively or positively without hurting their feelings. Words are like swords in the heat of battle, they cut deep. It is important to make sure that no matter how you feel about someone you should always treat him or her with kindness and respect. Treating them as though they were a piece of fruity hard candy that you wouldn’t dare to swallow.