Kaitlin - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: equality

No One is Equal

Growing up I was taught that we are all equals, yet even those who say that, don’t always believe it.

Raised by my mother, I was raised as a Christian. Every Sunday morning, I would put on a pretty, little dress, and go to Sunday School, then Church. I was taught that we are all equals, and everyone should be treated the same, with the same rights, and same privileges. When I was a child, I did not even have to think to agree with this, because everyone looked exactly the same in my eyes.

I was also taught the sins I was never to do in order to lead a good Christian life. I was taught how these sins were in my everyday life, whether they were simple like jealousy, smoking, drinking, or lying, or if they were more extreme like killing, having sex, racism, homosexuality, stealing or adultery.

Not only are these Christian rules, by they are woven into our society. Most kids are taught tolerance and acceptance from parents, teachers, or others. It’s those “rules” that make people hypocrites.

Many look down on people not “Normal” in their, or society’s, eyes. For example, robbers or murderers, are looked down on and thought little of. This also can occur against certain races, people’s skin color, or sexual preference. They are frowned upon by many, and those who look down on them are showing how people are not equal.

I have realized that these people who judge, are beneath those they are judging. Everyone judges, so everyone is beneath someone, therefore, no one is equal. Some people might say, “I do not look down on people,” but they are wrong. There is something about someone that they do not like and do not approve of.

I feel bad for those self-centered people who think they are better than everyone else, because they truly are underneath everyone. As much as it pains me to say it, I am beneath people also. I am beneath those that I cal mean names, or say mean things to, or even think mean things about. All the emotions that cause us to be mean to or think little of people, such as anger, jealousy, distrust, or frustration, are all horrible emotions. If we did not have these feelings, the world would be a much better place.

No one is equal because of what we do, not because of how we are born. Ugly emotions are what make us below others, not because of skin color of personal belief. This I believe.