Albert - Lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: afterlife, death

I believe that death forms the lives of each and every individual who has come to know what it means. Death rocks the minds of the inquisitive, and shatters the hearts of the compassionate. Beyond death is a mystery to all who still live today. I believe in death as life; something to look forward to. Faith in death allows me to view my life on an eternal level, rather than that of the flesh: 60 to 70 years.

Humans hate not knowing things, which is why we have scientists diddling over the dumbest of things like human evolution. There is no research for what death is and all that it beholds. It is not possible. There is no way to kill yourself, and live to tell the tale. Our lives on earth need to be centered around living for death because it is only after death that we really begin to live. Our lives on earth v. our lives after death are smaller than a fraction of a second compared to a year; it’s just that insignificant on the eternal level. Our lives are transformed when we constantly gain knowledge about things.

When we are born, everything is new to us. We are constantly learning things as our parents nurture us and fill our minds with infinite knowledge. At a very young age, most of us have been bombarded with the knowledge of death. Since that very moment, the thought of it sends chills through our bodies. Most of us live each moment of our lives never knowing our purpose for being here. If we all thought in our heads that we would be living for an unlimited number of years, we wouldn’t do half the things we do. Getting married before turning thirty wouldn’t be as pressing of a matter if you had 1,921 years to live…but we don’t. The knowledge of death is the basis for our lives.

I believe that death has formed my life from a very young age. My father died serving his country overseas in 1989, only one year after I was born. Ever since his tragic death that gave my mother a nervous breakdown, I have come to grips with the fact that I’ll never have a father…only a fatherly figure. I carry on his name, being a junior, forever through my life and hopefully through that of my children one day. Everything I do, I try live up to what I think my father would have expected of me if he were still here. This is just one example of why I view death as life. Sadness isn’t a feeling I have when I think about him…I feel motivation. The motivation to live and be successful is a powerful thing and it came from the chilly depths of “death.”

Many people view death as a sad thing. When someone dies we hold wakes, funerals, and cremations. It isn’t the end. I believe that when I die, I will begin to live.