Tony - Napoleon, Ohio

Learning Life Lessons Through Golf

I recently played in the State Tournament for golf. I knew that this would be my last tournament, since I was a senior. After I finished playing I thought to myself, how does this relate to life? After much deliberation I found that although a game, the lessons I learn in golf can be applied to everyday life. I believe that golf teaches character, how to get through a tough situation, and how to get along well with other people.

Golf can teach character because it teaches honesty. Many people say that character is who you are when no one is watching. In golf there are many times when you are alone and could cheat. It would be possible for a person to move their ball from the tree to give them a shot. Most people do not do this because they know that it would be wrong. In life there are many ways that people could cheat the system like this, but they know that it is wrong.

In golf there are many tough situations. If a player hits three balls in the water, they will finish the hole and move on. This carries over in to life because when something does not go a person’s way they sometimes quit. There would be no real reason to quit. A person can do just enough to get through the situation and move on. To play another hole in golf could equate to another chance in life to have things go your way.

Golf also teaches how to get along well with other people. Golf is a lot more fun when you get to play with people who are friendly and like to have fun. The person who shoots badly and is able to joke around on the course is more fun to play with than the person who shoots terrible and treats you badly in turn. In turn life is a lot more fun when you can take a situation that did not go your way and add humor to it. Also it makes life a lot easier when you can shake off the bad, and treat people good even though things are not going your way.

Sometimes in golf you do not play well, but you always go back to the course and try again. You go back because you like the game. Next time you play golf, or any sport think of how it can relate to life or teach you a lesson in everyday life. As my golf career comes to a close I have learned that there is more to the game, and lessons to be learned from it.