Brock - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe that a little hard work never hurt anyone. If you go through life thinking that you can always just have fun and not have a care in the world you probably won’t get very far. If you want to be successful in anything in life you have to work at it and make several sacrifices.

This is an incredibly strong belief for me because I was brought up with the state of mind that I must work hard at everything that is important to me. My grandpa was a boy throughout the depression and he worked incredibly hard at farming his whole life. My father was brought up this way as well, living on a farm.

When I was growing up I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. Both of my grandparents worked extraordinarily hard. When they married they owned a farm. This required them to do a lot of work. My grandpa would wake up early in the morning with my grandma cooking breakfast. My grandfather worked while my grandma cooked and cleaned. After lunch my grandma would clean the table and go outside to help my grandpa in the field until it was time to make supper. They didn’t know any thing but work, they just did it without complaining. They had five children that also worked and lived on the farm. So they also learned a hard days work. One of these kids was obviously my father. So I guess that it would just make sense that I would follow in my parents and grandparent’s footsteps.

Work is something a lot of people dread and hate to do. However I really don’t look at hard work as a bad thing. I think laziness is a horrible trait to have in this world and I think a lot of people have it. I think most people look at work as if they can push it off till tomorrow and have fun now. Nevertheless, I have found that this can become a very bad decision that you don’t want to keep doing. I don’t ever want to become lazy and I don’t think I will. This is because when I do things and get things done I feel a sense of accomplishment. This just gives me more of a reason to find things to do and get them done. This is why I think work is a big part of my life. It keeps me busy and prevents me from becoming a lazy couch potato.