Ryan - Napoleon, Ohio

Importance of Everyday Things

I believe that my life is shaped by the people around me and the experiences I have, so I cherish and enjoy every aspect of my life. Because of this philosophy, I surround myself with positive people that I love, and attempt to live my life how I want to, so I will get the most out of it.

I did not realize this was my mentality until my grandma Kathleen said that I needed to relax and not be in so many activities. Without hesitation, I told her I would not be the same person that I am today without the activities I participate in. I would have different friends, would do different things, go different places and overall be totally different than I am today. Back in my grandma’s prime, I realized that she did not have as many opportunities as I have today and she still turned out great. She had different people and experienced different things in her life. I believe those things are what made her who she is today.

I am a senior in high school and I have the mindset that I should be in as many activities as possible because later in life those chances will not be there. I believe the people I hang around with, and the experiences that I have, shape my life. For example, I participate in basketball, football, and track; and if I did not, I would not be as competitive and cooperative, as I am today. I am now a very competitive person and I work very well with others. I have learned to channel my competitiveness toward everything in life so that I try to be the best at everything I do. This has helped me to become the best person that I feel I can become, and it helped me to get on the right track toward accomplishing my goals in life.

Some other extracurricular activities I participate in are student council, Hi-Y, and I am our senior class president. I believe these activities have made me into a better leader and a more caring individual. On a regular basis I feel I am a leader in sports, at school, at home and among my friends. I really like my quality of leadership because I believe I set a good example for others. Hi-Y has also let me share my caring side toward disadvantaged kids, especially at our annual Christmas party where we get to spend times with the kids.

I also feel that my friends and family are a huge part in who I am today. I learned how to act and behave from my parents, I learned how to have fun with my friends, and most importantly I learned how to enjoy life from everyone that is a part of my life.

I cherish everyday that I get to spend in this world because I love life and how I live it!