Dustin - iola, Wisconsin

Hunting with Dogs

By: Dustin Cady

I believe that hunting with dogs is more productive than sitting in one spot waiting for an animal to come. This way you can at least talk while hunting. I also like the fact you can hunt with more people and more dogs. With dogs you can hunt almost anything, such as bear, bobcat and raccoons.

That is why I hunt with dogs. Pretty soon I will move on to hunting bigger animals like coyotes, mountain lions and much more. Hunting is exciting especially when you tree a bear, coon or a bobcat. There is a downfall to this, you may have to go through the thick brush, trees, swamps and rivers just to get to the animal your dogs are treeing. Some people do not enjoy this part, but I do. This is the challenge and adventure to this type of hunting.

Hunting with dogs is not easy. You have to know how the animals will act before you hunt them. First off coon tap trees. This means that they jump on one tree and jump as far from the tree as possible. So that their scent won’t be carried with them when they hit the ground or to another tree. This is the best method for the coon to use because it hard for the dogs to stay on them.

The bobcat has a different technique than coons. Bobcats go in circle or figure eights to get the dogs to chase that same scent over and over.

The bear’s technique is to go through the thickest stuff, like brush, trees, and swamps. By the bear doing this, it will be extremely hard for the dog to catch up to them.

Another thing is that you have to get that animal out of the woods this can be very hard to do. I never got a bear or a bobcat out of the woods, but I’m bound too. I usually take the coon out of the woods, heavy or light I still take them out.

Hunting with dogs gives me a chance to spend time with family and friends. For example, my father and I don’t get along at home, but when we are in the woods we are best friends.

So, as you can see, hunting with dogs is the best. I enjoy it so much you would want to go with me into the woods. That is my story and I’m sticking to it. This is what I believe.