Darrin - Napoleon, Ohio

Greed is the Root of All Evil

Greed is the root of all evil. At one point in time everyone has heard this proverb. To me this statement means that everything bad stems from greed. There are multiple types of greed, such as greed of money, or greed of property. Every day of my life I try to be humble. Greed is the cause of all bad things in the world today. Things such as war, poverty, famine, and hunger are all the result of other people’s greed.

This proverb helps me to make choices in everyday life. While I’m thinking about making a decision that is important in my life, I think about how a genuinely generous person would think about the choice. I know that around the world there are leaders that would rather persecute individuals for financial gain than help the people of their own country. The people who make decisions based purely on how much they stand to gain are the ones who hurt the world. These people believe that the only path to success is the one through money and possessions. I do not believe that the most successful and the richest are the same person. Some other ways people could declare themselves a success

could be having a happy family, having a job that makes you happy, or running an accomplished small business.

When human beings are greedy, it brings out the worst of us. Whenever I see a greedy person I immediately have a bad impression of him. There are no people in the world that are considered good people that can also be called greedy. Many wars and conflicts have been started because of greed. What ends up happening is two groups, greedy for power, fight each other and eventually a ruler would emerge. After a small reign a new revolutionist group may arise and challenge the current government. This new, greedy group will cause civil unrest in the country. The cause of this hypothetical civil war is greed. The result of this greed for power is loss of life and war.

The worst part of greed is that it brings out the worst in anyone. The many different types of greed fuel all the hatred in the world. The people in the world that are considered bad are also the greediest. Greedy people only succeed in life because of lying and cheating. All of these negative things stem from greed. That’s why I encourage everyone to be more humble.