Shane - Napoleon, Ohio

Follow the Leader

The one belief that holds a major part of my life is that the best leader is a team player. There are not many who like to be dictated. In fact, I think most people hate to be dictated. That is why I believe that the strongest kind of leader does not think of his or her self as better than anyone, but simply a member of the team who was courageous enough to take on a little extra responsibility. Only the best leader puts their group before their self.

Think about a leader in your life. Is he or she a dictator or a friend? Is he or she helpful or demanding? If you’ve ever had more than one job, you know that the boss who was helpful or asked nicely for you to do something is the boss that you liked better. Our country thinks in the same manner. It allows us to pick our leaders, rather than have them decide to take over the government themselves. What if we lived in a country where one person holds an office until someone else overthrows that person? You would not appreciate this type of government because the leader does not represent your views or ideas. A leader is supposed to represent and carry out the actions wanted by the group.

I feel it is easy to say that I am a leader. I am an officer of my DECA chapter and easily one of the leaders of my friends. With both, I feel the best way to receive the best idea is to listen to all of them, no matter who they come from. I have given up friends because I could not handle their egomaniacal decisions because they thought they were better than the rest of us. A group will get more accomplished when they agree on an idea, rather than performing whatever the leader says they should do. As a leader, I feel that if my idea is not the best idea, than we shouldn’t use it. I think this is why my friends do not have a problem with me leading them.

I have based all of my leadership qualities on a single phrase by William Arthur Ward. It simply states: “Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.” Keep that in mind the next time you’re asked if you would like to lead a group. It usually isn’t as hard as it may seem.