Dustin - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: love

Dustin Blanton

Mrs. Fason

Comp I

2 November 2006

The Power of Love

“One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life.” -Sophocles.

You may ask yourself what word could he be speaking of. He is speaking of love, one of the hardest concepts to grasp in life.

According to the bible there are three types of love: eros, philia, and agape. Eros is probably what most people mean when they announce with a smile, “I’m in love.” Philia love is the love of friendship, best friends, and of being with those people you enjoy. Unlike the previous two types of love, agape is not limited to being held hostage by its environment and someone’s perception. Agape is the unconditional love you see that empowers people to do anything.

I do not necessarily mean the love for your significant other. It could be love for your father and mother, or the love for your brothers and sisters. It could be the love for your friends or the love for a family pet. It is the power that it possesses that overcomes any adversity we can possibly fathom.

Two excellent examples of this are interracial and same-sex marriages. These people have had to overcome so much adversity and pain for the one they love. Same sex marriages have been fought over for so long. Massachusetts is the only state that recognizes same-sex marriage, and it is only because of the people who have fought for it, for the ones they loved. I believe that love and the power it has is the only way they conquer these hardships.

There has been a time in my life that I felt all was lost. I was fourteen and in the seventh grade. Everything was going like any normal fourteen-year-old could want it to. My dad had been remarried the year before and I had a new brother and sister it was great. Then, unexpectedly, my step-mother accused my father of some less-than-legal allegations. Before I knew it, my parents were split up and I could no longer live with my dad. For the next two months I lived with an aunt and uncle in a different town, taken away from almost all family and friends, forced into an unfamiliar place. This was the hardest two months I have ever gone through. It was only through the love my father had for me that we were able to overcome this adversity so I could live with him again.

I believe love conquers all. There is so much power in love. Love can change a person’s beliefs, thoughts, even their life. So the type of lo I am talking about is the truest love of any. The type of love that is forgiving, and the type that makes people do crazy things. The type we see in our parents after they fight, but are never mad. You may not believe it but its true; love conquers all.