Whitney - McBain, Michigan

I Believe In Support For The National Guard

I believe that the National Guard is a very important part to society and that it is my duty as an American to offer them as much support as I can, in whatever way I can.

I believe that the support that I can give the guardsmen is helpful whether I myself realize it or not. I have a friend Kody who is a National Guardsman. I’ve known him since he joined the guard. Ever since I became his friend, I have tried to do my part by supporting him in whatever way I can. Kody and I would not be friends today had I not seen it as my duty as an American to write him while he was in training; to try to help relieve the stress that that occurs. What developed was a friendship that made me value my support for the Guard even more. I also supported Kody by praying for him. I believe that being a Christian includes lifting up my fellow friends and supporting the Guardsmen with prayer.

As an American, I can support the guardsmen by singing the national anthem and flying a flag in my yard, thus showing my patriotism. Whenever I played volleyball and had to listen to the National Anthem before each game I would think of Kody and the commitment that he and the other guardsmen had given. It was my way of subtly showing that I cared. When I sang the words and looked at the flag I was not only honoring my country but also Kody and other military personnel. Their support for our country and state in case of flood, hurricane or any other disaster, while working full time jobs or being full time students, is amazing.

Giving respect to the Guardsmen should be in the minds of all Americans. It is important for me to support my troops and to let them know that I care about what they are doing for my country. They make the sacrifice so that I can live in freedom. They make the commitment to be there in case of a disaster so that I will feel safe. It’s my duty to let them know that I’ll be there with support and care, each step of the way.

I wanted to support Kody as a guardsmen and I now know the impact that the support I have given him has truly had. Kody has admitted that the support shown to him by myself and others is overwhelming and encourages him in performing his duties as a Guardsman.

So, I believe that for the rest of my life I will support Kody and the Guardsmen because their commitment and sacrifice is much more than I could ever give. I want to do my part and help them to be the best Guardsmen they can be.