Kimberly - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I strongly believe in teamwork. Teamwork is an essential part of life and requires working with others. Certain areas of life take more teamwork than others. The past five years I have experienced teamwork while I was a part of the North American Choral Company (NACC). NACC is a professional youth choir made up of students from many schools in and surrounding Grand Rapids.

Being in a choir that is different and unique from the traditional high school choir, I have learned that teamwork is essential. Webster’s dictionary defines teamwork as “work done by several associates with each doing a part but all subordinating personal prominence to the efficiency of the whole.” I believe that Webster has it right. Being in a choir requires many different aspects of teamwork. Everyone in the choir must participate. In choir, you are a part of the action at all time. There is no sitting on the bench or standing on the sidelines. Even if you are not singing at the time, you are still in front of the audience and have to look actively involved in the music. You can not sing too loud or off key. You must constantly be listening to the others around you and adjusting your volume and pitch so everyone blends. A good choir member also must closely follow the direction of the conductor. You can not improvise or make your own decisions. Everyone must be on the same page. When everyone does their job, the result is beautiful. The teamwork required in choir has taught me the importance of teamwork in most other places in my life as well.

Many might not think right away of teamwork to describe choirs. But Paul McCartney, from the popular band in the sixties, the Beatles, thought about teamwork while listening to a choir. McCartney stated, “I love to hear choirs. I love the humanity…I like the teamwork. It makes me feel optimistic about the human race when I see them cooperating like that”. When McCartney listens to a choir, he understands and realizes what being in a successful choir means. That is the importance of teamwork.

Teamwork is an essential part of working through life. Choir is only one experience where I have learned to appreciate teamwork and see that a group working together can accomplish better things. I am sure you can think of a time when you learned how important teamwork really is as well. I believe in teamwork.