Zahary - New Berlin, Wisconsin

I Believe

I believe it is not our words that change the world, but our actions. Many times it is hard to even know what one believes. Once those beliefs are “found” and we have to stand up for them and “walk the walk” is where one truly demonstrate what he or she believes. Our words are mere pencil sketches of who we are. What truly makes our beliefs worth anything is how we live. Throughout my last few years in high school I felt hollow, as if I stood for nothing. If someone had asked me “what do you believe”, it would have been easy for me to give them a laundry list of ‘beliefs’ I held in my head, but not in my heart. As time progressed, as it always seems to do, I began to lose myself, my own personality if you will. I have become a firm believer that if someone pretends to be someone they are not for too long, they will forget who they ever were. I think the reason is because for so long I had held my beliefs in my heart and not acted them out in my daily life, in ‘following the crowd’ and not living out my life, I lost track of who I really was.

I believe that life is more than money and the value of our own existence and the meaning of life in itself in today’s world is almost lost. I believe that life is deeper than what the eye can see or what the ear can hear. God himself is more than words and a mystery and I think life is a lot the same. I was born in Monrovia, the capital of a small war torn country of Liberia on the Ivory Coast. Shortly after I was born my family had to move to Sierra Leone (a near neighbor of Liberia) because the war in Liberia had escalated tremendously. I lived the small town of Solia, far out in the bush where I experienced life like never before. Life was slower in Solia, much less complicated, and less confusing, with a lot less clutter. Life there did not revolve around material things, people were just happy to be alive. There were many struggles and hardships, but being able to see life more clearly than what the rest of the mainstream world does, it makes it easier to be thankful for what you have; making it easier to be truly happy about the little things one does posses or understand. That is why I say, life is more than money.

I believe everyone is searching for something deeper and more profound than themselves. I also believe once we have found the deeper more transcendent meaning of life, ourselves and God, we never cease to hunger for more. We never cease to want to understand. Our deeply held personnel beliefs revolve around the topic of hope. We all have hope in something greater than ourselves or hope that we might one day find it. I don’t claim to understand or know much, and while I have only lived a short period of only 19 years, the more I see and understand the less I realize I truly know. Thus, my thirst is still there, tied into this deep, tragic and yet beautiful romance of life; this conversation with the stars.

I believe that the greatest force on earth is love. Growing up in Sierra Leone I got to see many examples of love. Not the romantic type of love so much, but a love for people; the love for the true person. A love for caring for those in the village and helping them out when they needed help or times were rough. If someone didn’t have a lot of food or money people in the village would band together. The village was more of a family than a village or town. Or is someone was bitten by a snake while out on the farm those around would carry him or her back to my mom in order to perhaps save a life. We are all afraid of not being truly accepted by those around us, and we all want to feel loved. But in order to feel loved by those around us and secure in who we are we must first believe that we are loved truly and fully by YAWEH. Only once we realize we are loved by God, can our true capacity to love come into effect. For I believe that love is not human, but divine. “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love” 1 Corinthians 13:13.