Krissy - Media, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, setbacks

Your Family Always Cares

When I think of a family, I think of a group of people who love and care for one another. For most people, their family consists of a mom, dad, brothers and sisters. Some people think of just a mom or just a dad. For me, my two sisters are my family.

About a year ago my mom and dad sat my sisters and me down to talk. They told us we were no longer going to be a family. They were getting a divorce.

Watching my parents quickly drift apart was extremely painful for me. It seemed like everyday since I was told the “big news”, my parents fought more and more. All day, every day, all I could here were the yells of disagreeing adults.

Their fights started out as each of them letting off steam. That gradually grew into more specific, materialistic things. Eventually, my sisters and I felt our parents no longer cared about us. Their only concern seemed to be money. We were our own family.

It helps having an older sister to look up to and get help from. Also, having a little sister who looks up to me helps me to feel needed.

Lately, when people ask me about my family, I only refer to Nicole and Allie. My mom and dad have seemed too disappeared from the picture.

As of today my sisters and I go from my mom’s apartment to my dad’s apartment every other week. I basically live out of a suitcase because I feel that once I unpack everything, it’s time to repack it all and switch again. Living out of a suitcase is very difficult. All my clothes get wrinkled and I end up waking up early to iron my clothes. I get so tired which is not helping my situation. Not only are my parents not considered my family, but I don’t even have a place to really call home.

I guess in a way I should thank my parents. Because of the divorce, my sisters and I have become very close. Especially Nicole and I. I feel I can talk to Nicole about anything and everything. And I do. Like when we needed to justify in court. Before we went up to speak, Nicole, Allie and I talked about what to say. I thank god for my two great sisters. Without them I would break down.

I believe that families are people who smother you in love and protection. My family is always there for me and I am always there for them. Nicole and Allie are my best friends and the greatest family anyone could ever ask for.