shauniece - lynchburg, Virginia
Themes: addiction

I believe that an addiction is something that people choose to have; it’s not something that is just handed out to you like flyer. There are many things that you can have an addiction to, not just drugs. I believe that most people have addictions because they feel empty in some way, shape, or form. People think that the addiction they have can somehow fill that empty space that they’ve been dealing with their whole life. Having an addiction to anything is never good, because you always end up hurting the people you care about the most, and worst of all you end up hurting yourself without realizing it. Most addictions are signs of a person showing weakness. Instead of facing the problem many people find something that can give them temporary relief for the moment.

When dealing with an addiction or someone with an addiction I think you should always approach them in a manner that wouldn’t trigger them to hurt themselves or someone else, you should otherwise help that person realize that there are other ways of dealing with there problems. Addictions of any kind are very serious, and should be treated as such. What might seem like the dumbest addiction to one person might be what’s restraining another person. I believe that anyone with an addiction can be helped if they are willing to help themselves. You can not expect a person with an addiction to just snap out of it so fast, in order to help them you have to be patient, by rushing the problem it will only make things worse for you, and that person. If you really want to help a person with an addiction the best thing that you will be able to do Is just listen, no matter how much they talk, or if they say the same things over and over again. Being there to comfort and embrace a person in need is always a way to help them turn from their addiction. I firmly believe that if every person in the world with an addiction had someone that would just take time out to listen to what is going on in their life, maybe things in this world would be a lot different for most people, their would be less suicidal rates in the world today.

Many teens in our generation today struggle with abandonment and rejection issues. When talking to teens most of us feel like if we had a person we can lean on and trust to help us through our problems we would be much better, but because we live in a society where daddy’s are no longer around and people would rather reject teens then accept them, we are left only to find comfort in other things that will eventually destroy our lives. In conclusion no matter what we might be going through there is someone going through things ten times worse then you.