Celeste - Columbus, Wisconsin
Themes: setbacks

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. When I was thirteen years old I got in a terrible car accident with my sister and two of my friends. My sister had taken us to a movie in a neighboring town and we were headed back home along the highway. I was sitting in the passenger’s seat and my sister and I weren’t wearing our seatbelts. We were driving along a straight stretch in the road the sun was making it very hard to see when my sister realized at the last minute that she had to make a turn, crossing the highway. Needless to say we never made it across; we were struck by an oncoming truck.

The truck was pulling a boat and when it hit us on the front passenger’s side it spun us around. My sister’s door came open and she rolled down the ditch with the boat chasing after her, luckily it stopped before reaching her. I, on the other hand, flew through my closed window. My friends had remembered to wear their seatbelts so they only suffered from some scratches and whiplash. I must have been knocked unconscious because the first thing I remember is sitting on the side of the road looking down into the ditch and seeing my sister laying there, I was terrified wondering if she was going to be okay. I don’t think I have ever been so scared in my life. Time seemed to stand still as I watched her to see if she would move. By this time people were standing around watching to see if we were okay. The ambulance was there and people were putting her on a backboard. One of my friends who was sitting next to me took off his shirt and wrapped it around my bleeding arm, and then they put me on a back board also, as a precaution.

After we went to the hospital and got checked out we found out that we were just incredibly bruised and stiff, but okay. The car ended up being totaled and my sister was ticketed because she was at fault. We had to go talk to the police about what had happened and what was to be done with the car. While we were talking to them they told us how amazed they were that we were okay. They also told us that we were lucky to be alive; they thought that we were goners for sure. I know that only by the grace of God did we live through it. I believe that God gave us another chance by sparing our lives that day. I am so thankful that no one was seriously hurt that day.