Beatrice - Portland, Oregon
Themes: parenthood

I believe in following in the footsteps of my mother and the morals she instilled in me. My mother worked very hard to make a difference in the lives of others. She chose to become a nurse in order to help others. She is encouraging, kind to others and always very thankful for the opportunity to help.

I grew up in La, a suburb of Accra, Ghana on the west coast of Africa, in a very lovely and warm family. I believe in my mother’s teachings to become a nurse and midwife.

In my parents era education was scarce and sometimes girls were not educated, my mother was fortunate and one of the few girls who got an education

She had been a role model and that is the reason why I am who I am today. She worked very hard to become a nurse and as child she would always tell me that the only way to be fulfilled in life is to give to others. As I became a teenager, she encouraged me to go into the nursing field. As I started to pursue a career in nursing I fully understood my mother’s passion for her career. The joy of knowing that you have made a difference is indescribable.

I believe that my mother’s willingness to help and kindness to others has transformed me into a person who has dedicated her life to the betterment of humankind.